Wednesday 14 April 2010

General Feminist Ramblings

So I thought I would set up a blog. And having spent the last 3 hours on YouTube watching Germaine Greer videos, I wanted to do one about feminism.

I'm 18, and a self confessed feminist. I know alot of people find it bizzare, but to me my femininity and just being female is the most important thing in my life. I find Emmeline Pankhurst inspirational, having always been told by my mother than The Suffragettes were some of the most incredible people in history.
And she isn't feminist.

The Suffragettes were amazing. In 1903 Emmeline Pankhurst- along with her daughters- founded the Women's Social and Political Union, figthing to give women the right to vote. Women were arrested, subjected to violence and in 1913 Emily Davinson was killed for the cause. So it is little wonder that people who don't vote- especially women- anger me. With the election coming up, I am able to vote for the first time. As are many of my friends, although i know many will not act on that right. I know very little about politics, although i know the basics, but i will be at my local polling station on May 6th, ready to make my voice heard.
Anyway, after so many women devoted their lives and suffered in ways unimaginable to get us the vote, how can we dishonour their memory by ignoring the vote? We take for granted that we can have a say, but if we'd been born 150 years ago we would be in a much worse position than we are now.

Yes, womens rights have become much greater, but even now in the 21st century we continually have to fight to be treated equally to men.
We fight for equal pay, we fight to have the right to NOT be looked down on for choosing not to have children; yet childless women are pitied or scorned, we fight to be allowed sexual freedom like our male counterparts, and yet still we are paid less for more work, we are 'expected' to have children and we are branded a 'slut', a 'whore' or a 'slag' for showing any signs of promiscuity. And all the while the men take the top jobs such as company directors and leading politicians. Will we ever get our rights? As Germaine Greer states, 'the feminist revolution has not yet begun, but when it does our whole mindset will be changed.' And she has a point. History proves that when women put their mind to something, they can achieve: look at The Suffragettes, look at Elizabeth I.

Elizabeth I: iconic, legendary and undoubtedly a symbol for feminsts. Although she's been criticised more recently by historians (mostly male) she still has a strong, popular almost goddess-like image with many people. The first notable English queen, Elizabeth I had to deal with the legacy left to her by her father and siblings, which for the most part was pretty dire. However, she overcame these obstacles, avoiding serious challenges (bar one) to her throne, while all the while maintaining her belief in her god-given superiority, and her belief that she had the power in society. She showed that a woman does not need to marry and does not need to have children to have power, she showed that women can override the power and the influence of men, and she remains a strong role model- to myself and to others- today.

I don't want to get married- i'm not religious and more than that i have a fairly low opinion of marriage. I don't want to give myself to another person- I do not need a piece of paper to prove my comittment or decide my morals. I don't want children, frankly they irritate me and I would proritise a high powered career over a baby any day. I'd probably make a terrible mother. But I would like the freedom to live in a world where I am not judged for this, considered to be cold-hearted, a bitch or (worse) acting 'male.'
Women are just as capable of holding a high-powered job and making tough decisions as men are, so why when we do this are we considered to be acting 'masculine' and looked down upon by mothers and wives everywhere?

Better that we should die fighting than be outraged and dishonored. Better to die than to live in slavery. - Emmeline Pankhurst

No comments:

Post a Comment